Monday, March 18, 2013

The Wait for Golf Continues in Niagara...

Only a year ago, members at my home club were lucky enough to be enjoying late winter golf due to unseasonably mild temperatures and dry course conditions. Our March 14, 2012 opening date was the earliest on record at St. Catharines G&CC, beating the record from the year before by a single day.

What a difference a year makes.

A photo from the practice green, taken earlier today

We've had a pretty routine winter, all things considered but the cold temperatures have persisted throughout the month of March and as I write this, snow is falling once again and temperatures are a couple degrees below freezing.

The long range forecast looks decent as we move into next week but I'm going to guess that we won't be playing golf until after Easter this year.

To be honest, I'm okay with that. I've been keeping myself pretty busy over the winter with other things and with the weather being as cold as it's been, golf hasn't exactly been on my mind. That said, I'm starting to get a little bit of an itch and I'm hopeful that we can get a round or two in at the course before Masters weekend!

I'll certainly have my customary season-opening post when the time is right. I'm going to seriously look at upgrading my gear in 2013 and trips to California and Colorado beckon, so there is a lot to look forward to this year!

In the meantime, I'm starting to work on a course profile of Southampton Golf Club. This Seth Raynor design was recently restored by Brian Silva and the results are astounding, with expansive views brought back due to an extensive tree-clearing program and Raynor's original green sizes and shapes were recaptured. GolfWeek Magazine has noticed, deservedly placing Southampton inside the Top 200 Classic Courses in America in their 2013 survey and that is prompting me to profile it here at Now on the Tee.

I'll have that up within the next seven days. I hope it's warmer where you are!


No comments:

Post a Comment