Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Inspired!

Posts have been few and far between at Now on the Tee this summer and for that, I sincerely apologize.

I certainly don't lack material for prospective posts, especially since I haven't even started writing about two of my golf trips from last year, those being my New York/Long Island journey in May 2011 and my Columbus, Ohio adventure in August of 2011. Add my June 2012 trip to Colorado and Nebraska to that list and you have at least ten noteworthy courses that require writeups and reviews.

My golf game has been in the gutter for close to a month and I was coming off my worst home course round of the year this Sunday, shooting an unsightly 85. I've been working on some changes to my ball position and needless to say, I'm a bit of a mess. Golf is a hard enough game when you're playing well but it's almost painful from an emotional standpoint when you're playing poorly and lacking confidence.

That brings us to today, a day I've been looking forward to for months now.

This is due to the fact that I was scheduled to tee it up for the first time in over 22 years at St. George's Golf & Country Club in Etobicoke, a suburb of Toronto. St. George's is one of Stanley Thompson's masterpieces, a 1929 design that is arguably the strongest design in Canada and unquestionably among the best courses in the world.

The approach on the 18th at St. George's, with the stately clubhouse in the background
(Photo Courtesy of Clive Barber)

While I was eagerly anticipating walking and playing this Canadian gem, I was still a bit nervous due to my poor recent play. My wife, who likes to talk about golf as much as men like to talk about their feelings, was awesome enough to give me a little pep talk before I left the house this morning, saying "you're a good player, don't over-think things and just have a great time!"

I took her advice and decided to just revert back to my normal, low-ball hitting, cringe-inducing swing at least for one day...

Well, I'll tell you - sometimes you get inspired when you're at a "great" place and I can definitely say that there was something about St. George's that brought out the best in me. Without so much as a practice swing, I nailed my first tee shot right down the pipe on the mid-length par four starting hole and it was more of the same for most of the day.

I had ups and downs, like we all do, especially when you're playing a course as tough as St. George's from the tips but I was extremely pleased with my 79 and come away from my experience thinking that this course may just be the best our country has to offer.

More on my day at St. George's to come. It's time to get started on all these course reviews that I'm behind on!


No comments:

Post a Comment