Thursday, March 17, 2011

Golf Trip of a Lifetime: Volume Two

This is another post written in the past...

I'm writing this post at home, one full day before my departure from the Buffalo Niagara International Airport, having grown frustrated from my complete inability to pack all of the warm clothes I'll need into my smallish carry-on suitcase.

My destination is arguably the finest golf resort in North America, Oregon's Bandon Dunes, which sits right on the Pacific coast.

That said, I've timed this post to appear just as I'm set to tee off at Bandon Trails, the 55th ranked course in the US according to Golf Magazine, for my first round in 2011.

This is a dream trip without doubt and I'm spending five days and four nights at the resort. If all goes as planned, I'll be playing ten rounds of golf in those five days, playing all four courses onsite at least twice.

They are all highly decorated. The original course, David McLay Kidd's Bandon Dunes, is currently ranked 33rd in the US according to Golf Magazine while the publication ranks the second course built at the resort, Tom Doak's Pacific Dunes, 10th in the US. The aforementioned Bandon Trails, a Bill Coore/Ben Crenshaw collaboration, is the third course while the newest, Tom Doak and Jim Urbina's Old Macdonald, was just completed in 2010 and will hit the rankings for the first time later this year. Early word is that Old Mac ranks very highly among the four and maybe just a tad below Pacific.

I'm going to try to update my Twitter feed as much as possible over the course of the trip and maybe will even upload a crappy Blackberry photo or two of the course if I get the chance.

I will be bringing my lovely SLR for the trip and plan on taking as many photos as I can, weather-permitting of course. Upon my return, you can look forward to seeing detailed reviews and photo tours of all four courses at the resort.

Here's hoping for decent weather! Talk to you in a week!

1 comment:

  1. Matt, Gorgeous courses. Does it ever really get warm enough up in Canada?

    Melissa
    Golf Enthusiast
    skycaddie sgx review

    ReplyDelete