Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April Showers

It was a pretty quiet weekend of golf, as we were able to get a round in on Saturday morning before the rain came in and washed away the rest of the day and Sunday as well.

My game was pretty mediocre on Saturday despite partly sunny skies and temperatures around 15 degrees. I hit the ball decently and hit nine greens in regulation but I just couldn't get it in the hole - my short game has been my saviour over the past couple years but I logged 36 putts and got up and down only once all day in shooting an indifferent 82 (+10) from the tips. I made only one birdie and that came on the last hole when I stiffed an 8-iron approach into the 449 yard 9th hole to a foot and a half after starting our day on the back side.

That was one of only TWO one-putts on the day for yours truly, perhaps a record low.

I'm not going to worry too much about it and hope to get in a bit of practice time either during the week or sometime this weekend. I need it: I lost a match with Harry 4&3 playing heads up, the second week in a row he beat me. I also matched cards with Cal and lost 1 down while sawing off with Ryan B as well. I have standing matches against all three every week, whether we play together or not, for $5.00 a game.

Thankfully, I won a skin for my last hole heroics so I came out ahead by about $3.00 on the day.

Sodas are on me!

Things are really going to start ramping up in the next week. First, I have the opening event on the Niagara Men's Tour coming up on Sunday afternoon at Peninsula Lakes GC in Fenwick, Ontario.

I finished 16th overall on the Tour last year and only had one top five finish. I expect to be better this year but my game doesn't seem suited to Pen Lakes. It's a short course but plays much tougher than you'd expect and I think I have to rethink my strategy out there - I always play safe and hit a lot of long irons off the tees but I really think I'm going to attack the golf course this year and just see where the chips fall.

Then, the next day Harry and I will be making the long drive north of Toronto to play in the qualifier for the Provincial Better Ball Championship at the A.W. Tillinghast-designed Scarboro G&CC.

This is our fourth crack at trying to qualify and we've never been successful, falling two shots short last year after finishing bogey-bogey. We'll need to make many more birdies than we usually do if we're to have a shot this year. In Harry's case, making ONE BIRDIE would be great, as he literally hasn't made a birdie in this event since his first hole at Bridgewater...in 2007! Not like I've torn it up either...

Anyway, I expect that we'll have to be under par to make it through, thinking a 70 on our best ball will be the number due to the fact that many of the top provincial players will be at our qualifier due to the quality of the golf course.

That won't be easy, as neither Harry nor myself have played at Scarboro so we're both flying blind. I plan on doing some research before our round and hope that will help somewhat but I'm just looking forward to playing competitively again and also, in the case of Scarboro, playing a great track.

No comments:

Post a Comment