Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Proud Canadian

Today marked the end of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics and the games finished on a high note for Canadians, as our hockey team took the gold medal in a thrilling 3-2 overtime victory over the Americans.

Making the event even better was the fact that the hockey tournament MVP was USA goaltender Ryan Miller, who just happens to tend goal for my favourite hockey team, the Buffalo Sabres. A well deserved honour for Ryan.

My non-Canadian readers may not properly understand just how big a deal this game was for our country but I'm willing to bet that almost 75% of our country was watching this game today.

Not only did Canada win the gold in both women's and men's ice hockey, but our country ended up winning 14 gold medals in total, setting a new Winter Olympics record in the process. Through this two week period, I actually became a fan of curling, something I never would have contemplated at the start of the games. In fact, my wife and I are considering playing in a mixed league next year for fun.

That's the power of the Olympic games for you!

Our athletes were tremendous, as were all the organizers and volunteers who helped make this event a success. It's a very proud moment for all Canadians and I commend everyone involved.

I am one very happy Canuck today!

No comments:

Post a Comment