Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Life Gets in the Way

I've played only 27 holes over the past three weeks, as "real life" has taken precedence.

My last full round of golf took place on Saturday September 13th, as I shot a solid, bounce-back 74 (+2) at St. Catharines from the blue deck after my horrific 85 the weekend previous.

This was to be good preparation for the Niagara Men's Tour finale, scheduled to take place the next day at Thundering Waters GC.

However, we got hit with heavy rains on Saturday night and Thundering Waters closed their doors for the day on Sunday, leaving the Tour without a course to play. So the event was rescheduled to the following Sunday and I just stayed at home and watched football.

I had to go to Toronto for a set of business meetings from Monday to Wednesday but a really scary, almost life-changing accident took place on Tuesday night.

My wife, who is eight months pregnant, was trying to carry a piece of cake into our family room when her foot gave out and she fell...right on her stomach.

Thankfully, her cousin was able to get to our house to take her to the hospital while I sped home from Toronto to meet her at the hospital.

Initial tests showed that the baby's heartbeat was still strong...thank goodness! However, my wife suffered a broken foot in the accident and in addition to some other complications earlier in the pregnancy, its resulted in her not being mobile whatsoever.

So I had to get her a wheelchair for the house so she could get from the bed to the washroom and I also had to take Wednesday and Thursday off work to take care of her. One of her good friends was nice enough to take the day off on Friday so I could go into work but unfortunately, there was no one available to help out on the weekend.

That meant I had to cancel my tee off time on Saturday that I had at St. George's G&CC, one of the top-rated courses in Canada...a course I had waited YEARS to get an invitation to. Devastation is the only word. I did end up playing a quick nine with Cal in the AM but my heart wasn't in it whatsoever and headed home quickly after a nice breakfast.

It also meant that I wasn't able to participate in the season finale on the Niagara Men's Tour, which was rescheduled for Sunday at Ussher's Creek (Thundering Waters was unavailable). This was a huge blow, as I was in position to possibly win the whole Tour after winning the previous event at LochNess Links.

But family comes first.

Thankfully, we got great news on Monday, as we had a followup ultrasound appointment and everything looks great with our future child. What a huge relief! And my wife, while still having lots of trouble, can at least put a little bit of weight on the walking cast she has, so she can use a walker to get around some of the time.

Not sure how much golf there will be for the rest of '08. I'm hoping to get out once this weekend so we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment