Sunday, June 01, 2008

Niagara Cup - First Round

This weekend was a much needed rest from the constant travelling I've been doing lately. Of course, it all starts up again tomorrow but I really needed to hang out at 'home base' for a weekend and try to get my game back.

We braved poor weather conditions very early on Saturday morning and it turned out to be quite a nice day. I had my member/guest partner come down for the morning to see the course so I was playing regardless of how poor the weather was but again, the rain held off for the most part.

I shot a 78 from the backs on Saturday and was pretty fortunate to do so - I only hit five greens in regulation but I actually had 12 birdie putts...that's a lot of fringe putts! I took the Taylor Made Rossa Daytona blade putter out for a test spin and REALLY liked it, so much so that I decided that I'd be buying it the next day.

The wife and I joined a couple of friends of mine for a nice couples night on the town, hitting Fresco's for an average pasta meal and then Dairy Queen for some ice cream. No bar hopping for us old agers!

I got to sleep in this morning due to the fact I'd be participating in the first round of the Niagara Cup. Today was the second and last leg of the opening round matchup versus Lockport Town G&CC out of New York state. We had a slight 10-8 points advantage going into today's round - I didn't get to play at Lockport for that leg due to playing at Grand Niagara last week on the Men's Tour.

Today wasn't even close - St. Catharines literally SWEPT every match! It's a match play format similar to the Ryder Cup but there are three points available for every match - one for winning the front, one for the back and the last for the overall match.

I was playing in one of the two better ball matchups on the day, paired with our Senior Club Champion Tom Y. Tom is a very solid player and was a pleasure to play with, as were our competitors from Lockport. However, their games weren't on today and we pretty much crushed them, taking the front nine 4up and winning the back nine 2up.

I even won a skin with my first hole birdie three, making my first profit on the year in golf course betting (not including all of the dinners I won from my boy Harry down in Florida!). I shot a cool 75 on the day, hit 12 greens in regulation and easily could have been under par with some better fortune on the greens.

We will go on to face the winner of the LochNess Links/Lookout Point matchup sometime in the next few weeks.

Tomorrow is the start of my huge week: my first ever Ontario Mid-Amateur Championship! I'm playing a practice round tomorrow with my buddy and fellow St. Catharines member Bernie B and one of my supplier reps, Scottie T, a member at Cutten Club. The championship itself begins on Tuesday and there will be a 36 hole cut made on Wednesday night. The final round is on Thursday.

I will be bringing my camera out for all three days to take in everything and in addition to having a tournament preview up tomorrow night, I will have daily reports here on my progress in the tournament, starting on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment