Sunday, May 04, 2008

2008 Niagara Men's Tour - Event One (Peninsula Lakes)

Might as well clean this one up right away.

We teed off in cold and windy conditions today at Peninsula Lakes GC for the first event on the men's tour.

Things started off decently. I made a routine two-putt par on one, starting on the Hillside nine. The 232 yard par three second was playing into a stiff breeze and my 2-iron hybrid was hit well but into the greenside bunker. I'd bogey that then par the third and fourth to sit at +1. I three-jacked the par three fifth then made an absolute all-world BOGEY on the sixth to sit at +3.

I thought I was getting one back on the par five 7th when my drive hit the cart path and propelled itself an extra 80 yards down the middle of the fairway. I had only 158 yards into the green for my second shot on the 507 yard hole but missed a three footer for birdie. That hurt.

Not as much as the next two holes though - I came out of my 8-iron on the short par three 8th, flubbed a chip and three putted from there for a double then FOUR-PUTTED the par five 9th for another double bogey while Harry watched from the fairway. The bugger of course sent an email to Toast to tell him of my predicament as I covered my mouth and let a couple expletives fly. From possibly being only +2 a couple holes earlier, now I sit at 43 (+7).

I continued to play poorly but made a number of great up and downs to keep my score semi-respectable, finishing with an 81 on the day after coming back home in only 38 shots on the back.

I believe I finished T20th after the first event, a very poor start for me considering my expectations. Harry shot an 84, one of his best scores ever on tour so his tournament game continues to improve.

Everything was bad for me today and I'm not holding out much hope for one of the biggest events on my calendar this year...

On Tuesday, I'm heading up to the Club at Bond Head to attempt to qualify for the Ontario Mid-Amateur Championship. It will be a very long day if I continue to strike the ball the way I did today.

I'll post my results from that qualifier on Tuesday night and will continue with our Florida trip report in the middle of the week. Lots going on right now...I still have to talk about Harry and I trying to play into the Ontario Better Ball Championship as well. Sheesh...not enough time for all of this!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck at Bond Head, but if you strike your irons like you did on Saturday, I put the line at 85, and I'll take the over.

    PS. Still not betting against you in that for karma reasons.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the vote of confidence Matt.

    ReplyDelete