Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I'm Stuffed!

It was Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada, the last holiday weekend before Christmas.

Things started out on a sad note, as I attended the Buffalo Sabres home opener on Friday night, a game that they would lose 6-4 to the New York Islanders. Great atmosphere at the HSBC Arena, as the club raised two new banners to the rafters: the 2006/07 President's Trophy banner along with the Northeast Division banner. The Sabres also installed a SWANKY new high-definition scoreboard - it was almost too awesome, as I kept looking away from the action on the ice to check out the television screens!

Buffalo would lose on Saturday night as well, again to the Isles, to start the season 0-2. Not the start fans expected, that's for sure. No time to panic just yet!

I had some family commitments on Saturday morning with the wife that kept me from playing golf with Harry and Cal at Ussher's Creek in Niagara Falls - and it was fully comped too, making it even worse. They were able to beat the rain while we got POURED ON in Hamilton. Ha!

I got to the golf course late on Sunday due to a huge storm knocking out our power during the middle of the night. The course was pretty wet from the rain and even though I hit the ball decently, hitting 11 greens in regulation, I could only muster a 78 out of the round. I pretty much missed every putt I looked at and went birdie-less.

I should have just stayed in bed!

Sunday afternoon was great. Jacky and I hosted our first Thanksgiving dinner at our house in a modest affair, with her mother, one uncle and another friend joining the two of us.

The guys watched football all day while Jacky and her mom worked their magic in the kitchen. Great meal, great company. I really enjoyed the day.

I had the day off on Monday and that meant another round of golf! The weather here in Southern Ontario continues to amaze, as the thermometer reached the mid-80's on this early October day. Just crazy!

I played with Bernie, Brad B and Joey B and scored much better on this day than the day previous, shooting a solid 73 (+1) and taking all of Bernie's money ($10.00) in the process. That's RARE, let me tell you!

I figure I still have three weekends of golf left, weather dependent of course, with my last planned round being the Oakmont outing on Monday October 29th. I just hope the temperatures cooperate over the next 21 days!

The great weekend ended with a superlative Monday Night Football contest between the Buffalo Bills and the Dallas Cowboys. The Bills hadn't hosted a MNF game in over 13 years and the stadium was ROCKING!

The Bills certainly seemed to feed off that energy, building a nice lead even though they were resounding underdogs but even though they forced an incredible six turnovers, they would still lose the game on a last second field goal by the rookie Dallas kicker.

Bad teams find ways to lose football games and that is precisely what the Bills are. They played their guts out but a bad turnover cost them points that may have put the game away.

Either way, it was the most entertaining football game I've seen in quite some time and a satisfying way to end a nice weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Way to throw a Jinx in there for Oakmont Matt.

    I suggest you take out the section on weather right now to avoid any further damage and never mention it again.

    Idiot!!!

    ReplyDelete