Saturday, August 25, 2007

Back from California with Memories to Last a Lifetime

Just a quick word to say I'm back from the West Coast after a ten day stay...one day more than scheduled after flight delays due to poor weather at our transfer in Atlanta.

No matter. The trip easily ranks up there with the best I've ever been on and I'll have details about our week in California over the next number of days.

The first post will detail our experience in Dana Point at the St. Regis Monarch Bay Resort, one of the finest places I've ever had the pleasure of visiting.

During those five days, my wife and I also ventured to Newport Beach and San Diego, among other places. This was all part of a business/social trip with companies similar to mine in Canada, where all the owners and their families get together for some rest and relaxation, with about three hours of business thrown in for good measure just so we can write the whole thing off.

Wink, wink!

I got to play a round of golf at the Monarch Bay Golf Links at the resort, a Robert Trent Jones Jr. design. How did the round and the course measure up? I'll briefly go over my experiences there.

However, the real highlight of the trip was spending three nights at one of the most revered and distinguished clubs in the world, The Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades.

Home of the 1948 US Open, two PGA Championships and the annual home of the Nissan Los Angeles Open, "Hogan's Alley" is always near the top of the list when discussing the world's finest golf courses.

I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to play the George C. Thomas Jr. designed course on Thursday morning. Does the course live up to the hype? Was it worth the effort?

Maybe I'm spoiling it by saying my feelings can't be wrapped up in one blog post. It will take at least three.

My first post will talk a bit about the history surrounding this exclusive club before moving on to my experiences staying on site with my wife for the three nights.

The second post will be part one of my Riviera course review, with a detailed analysis of the front nine from a strategic standpoint along with a shot-by-shot recap of my outward half.

The third post will obviously be part two of the review, with the discussion surrounding the incoming nine. I will also sum up the whole "Riviera experience" in that last post.

Hopefully you will enjoy reading about the club and my experiences as much as I will enjoy writing about it.

1 comment:

  1. do we really have to wait for 3 posts to get to know about the course. How about you do one post right away with pictures and everything, how you played, of the course. And then you can do the other 2 about whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete