Monday, June 04, 2007

A Wasted Weekend on the Course

It was not a good weekend on the golf course and it will possibly cost me a spot on the Niagara Cup squad for St. Catharines G&CC in 2007.

As regular readers of my blog know, the Niagara Cup is an annual interclub competition in a 'Ryder Cup' format between all of the clubs in the Niagara Region along with three entries from upstate New York.

I've been fortunate enough to get selected to the team for three years straight, the last two of which I was a 'Captain's Selection', kind of a wildcard pick by our professional.

There are eight total slots on the team and it is made up as follows: one spot is for the club professional; one is for the overall Mens Club Champion, four slots are open for the low qualifiers plus two Captain's Picks.

The qualifier is held over two weekends and golfers have those four days to put together a two-round aggregate score. You can play as many rounds as you like and the top two scores are used for every player.

Well, I played both days this weekend and shot 78 both days. Simply put, it's nowhere near good enough to make this squad. We've already seen a 69, a 70, a 72, a 73 and a 74 over the first two days and I figure anything worse than a two-round aggregate of 149 (+5) will not be acceptable.

Therefore, I have to hope I can somehow get out of my mini-slump next weekend and post two good scores. I'm not very optimistic.

I played horribly on Sunday morning and my 78 flattered me immensely. I literally hit two decent golf shots and still can't believe I was able to put together a sub-80's round - it felt like an 85.

I'm suddenly having trouble with the new irons and think my ball position is off a bit. My driver failed me as well yesterday, as I haven't seen that much lumber since I went camping in Algonquin Park about five years ago. I may try to find time this week to either hit the range or play a quick nine to work through my problems.

Thankfully, my short game is still pretty solid.

While the weekend on the course was a waste, it certainly wasn't off the course. I spent pretty much the whole afternoon working on landscaping and planting yesterday and I'm completely exhausted.

We just bought the house in August last year so this was my first real foray into gardening and landscaping. The wife and I hit Mori's Nursery on Saturday afternoon and bought two full-sized Japanese Yew trees as bookends for our front walkway. We also bought six hydrangeas for the backyard. I also had 4 1/2 cubic yards of Black Cedar Mulch delivered to the house on Sunday.

We had some help from my wife's family and it was much appreciated with the ridiculous humidity we had to deal with yesterday. I went through about six beers yesterday and sweat them all out almost instantly. Digging holes for the Yew trees proved to be the most arduous task but the pain and suffering was worth it, as gardens look tremendous.

I also put on the chef's hat and grilled up some burgers and dogs for the family afterwards. Very productive afternoon!

I'll maybe post some pictures of the work later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment