Saturday, June 09, 2007

Men's Tour Preview - Event #3

The third leg of the 2007 Niagara Men's Tour goes tomorrow and I'll have home course advantage, as St. Catharines G&CC is hosting the event.

This coincides with the worst stretch of golf that I'm playing this year so I'm not exactly full of confidence.

I played today with my regular partners Toast and Harry and things started off decently enough. Starting on the back side, I bogeyed the 13th hole, birdied 16 then bogeyed 18 from a greenside trap for a one over 37.

After hitting it stiff on #1 and making birdie, I was even par through ten and feeling pretty good.

That was before I "T.C. Chen'd" my chip shot on #2 - the old double hit! Sweet! Funny enough, we were all pretty unsure of the penalty but we got it right and I made a double there.

Was in a daze for a couple holes, skying my drive on #3 and making bogey and then almost shanking my tee shot on the par three fourth. I duffed a pitch from a bad lie and had to get up and down from a bunker just for bogey.

After snapping my drive on #5 against the fence, I let out a little bit of frustration, so to speak.

The madness continued when I saw my ball right up against the fence, necessitating an unplayable. I was so out of it that I only gave myself one club relief instead of two and hit LEFT-HANDED because I still had the fence in my way. Nailed the inverted 7-iron about 150 yards too.

I made double there as well but settled down after that, almost making an all-world birdie on #6. I parred #7, birdied #8 and parred #9 to shoot 77 (+5).

The round was once again under tournament conditions, as I'm still foolishly trying to qualify for our Niagara Cup team, something that just isn't within my grasp the way I'm playing.

The glutton for punishment that I am, however, means that I'm going to try to play 36 HOLES tomorrow in a last-ditch effort to make the team. I'll need about a 70 or so but what the hell.

The men's tour event sees me teeing off last tomorrow in the 2:37 slot. We'll be playing the back tees and hopefully I can figure things out in my morning 18 to get my confidence back for the tour event.

EDIT: 9:30am Sunday
Well, there was no morning 18 as I would have broken a rule that stipulates that you can't 'practice' on the day of an event at the golf course. Too bad...I woke up at dawn for nothing!

Oh well, wish me luck this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment