Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Let the Posting Begin

The Masters weekend has passed and with it comes the start of golf season in Canada.

I don't really have much to say on the tournament. I literally fell asleep on the couch on Saturday afternoon, obviously worn out just watching the best players in the world chip out from the trees, three-putt the dried out greens and generally look hopeless on the ridiculously difficult Augusta National.

The committee finally realized that the tournament is supposed to bring EXCITEMENT rather than yawns and set the course up to play much easier, relatively speaking of course, on Sunday afternoon.

But, as Ian Andrew indicated on his blog, it was likely 'too little, too late'.

Kudos to Zach Johnson, who now becomes the Larry Mize of this generation with his Masters victory, only his second on TOUR in his career.

I don't mean him any disrespect, however. He deserved the victory, playing great in the clutch with Tiger charging from behind. Johnson must have heard the roars emanating from Amen Corner after El Tigre's eagle on 13 but he held firm, making a huge birdie on 16 that gave him some much needed wiggle room down the stretch.

Johnson also thought his way around the course really well, not once going after a par five in two the whole week. He indicated that his game plan was to lay up every time unless he had a four-iron or less in his hands.

Sounds a lot like a certain Canadian lad four years ago, doesn't it?

So it's now April 11th and snow continues to fall sporadically here in the Niagara Region. I was lucky enough to get out and play nine holes twice a couple weekends back when the temperatures were a bit milder.

Our course was in surprisingly good shape considering the crazy winter. It was fun getting out, even though we had to withstand a pretty substantial downpour during the second outing.

I even got to test out the new R7 TP's that I was longing for in my last post. I wasn't disappointed but will give them another test drive when I get out again.

We got hit with another blast of winter over the Easter weekend so there was no golf on the schedule. The pins were back in this morning, I noticed, so I figure we'll be out in full force this weekend.

You can look forward to regular posting again now that the golf season is upon us. I plan on putting together one golf course review per week but we'll see how things go...

The Sabres are just starting their playoff run so I'll be attending all of the home games on their quest for Lord Stanley. You can keep up with their progress over at Bleeding Blue and Gold, my own Sabres blog, although I've been a bit delinquent with that site as well.

1 comment:

  1. I bought a set of the R7 TP's last night. I'm fully sponsored now.

    ReplyDelete