Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Shot Down!

Well, word has come in on the Big Vote at the golf club.

The membership at St. Catharines overwhelmingly shot down the proposal put forth by our board of directors to investigate an opportunity to move to a different location by a ratio of 80% to 20%.

Interestingly enough, 26% of the club's shareholders didn't participate in the vote but it wouldn't have mattered either way, as the proposal needed a 66% approval rate to go through.

I have no problem saying that I was one of the 79 members who voted to go forward with investigating the proposal. But from past posts here, I'm sure you all knew that already...

You can see what I initially said about the 'intrigue' here. I then wrote another article about the general shareholders meeting here.

I can't say I'm surprised with the result but I'm ultimately disappointed that we're not going to get the chance to even explore this a bit further.

I'm also disappointed for Ian Andrew, the proposed architect of the new course. I'll repeat now what I told Ian in person after the information session at the club: I just hope he gets the chance to build that golf course on that site.

I'll be among the first in line to play it, that's for sure.

3 comments:

  1. Although I'm a big fan of the current location, I agree it would have been nice to get some more info on a move just to see what CAN be. Then again, our club property will always be worth a crappile of money whether it's X million today or the million, gazillion dollars I wanted for it ;) So, if we ever get in tough times, we sell the primest piece of land in the city I guess -- rough times.

    Some of those shots from Ian Andrew do look sick tho...

    Now, lets get down to the real biz at the club, cutting out all the unprofitable services (unless those using them step up) we golfers donate more than our fair share to facilitating at STGCC.

    Oh, and lets play some cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt:
    I'm hoping to talk to you about this as soon as possible.
    I can be reached at mbeech@stcatharinesstandard.ca.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone knows something and wants to get out while property values are still relatively high. With a ton of money for those individauls with most of the shares and the economy going south(depression) real estate values will plummet and I mean plummet.With a ton of money and in time(7-10 yars) enough "dirt cheap" land could be purchased to build a "spectacular" new St. Catharines GC with all the right amenities, which inturn might attract a Mens Canadian Golf Championship Open and of course,
    "the right kind of members".

    ReplyDelete