Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Movie and TV Recommendation

Jacky and I purchased a HDTV a couple months back and we decided to go the full monty and get the Movie Network with the HD package, as there were two stations specifically with High-Def movies.

Basically, I just use the remote TV Guide and scan the whole week for decent-looking flicks, then tape them on the PVR. I watched one of them on the weekend - Lucky Number Sleven.

I can't say I had high hopes for the flick but a co-worker recommended it as a good one and he usually has good taste.

What an entertaining movie!

The thing has a bunch of stars in it: Morgan Freeman, Josh Hartnett, Bruce Willis, Lucy Liu, Ben Kingsley, Stanley Tucci, Danny Aiello...the list goes on.

Basically, the Josh Hartnett character is a kid in the wrong place at the wrong time, shacking up at a buddies place and getting mistaken for him by two of the baddest gangsters in town (Freeman and Kingsley). The buddy owes both these guys mucho dinero and the bad guys don't really care whether the wise-ass Hartnett is the deadbeat or not...they just want their money.

Another twist is that the gangsters want each other dead as well and are willing to 'forget' about the cash if Hartnett offs the other guy.

The dialog is crisp and the plot, while convoluted, is interesting. The acting, even Hartnett, is uniformly excellent and there is style to burn. Beautifully shot movie.

I was really surprised by both Hartnett and especially Liu, who always plays cold characters or 'bad girls'. She was REALLY adorable in this movie and a lot of fun, completely playing against type.

Three stars out of four from this reviewer and highly recommended. You'll be entertained, I guarantee it.

I also started watching NBC's 'Heroes' about a month and a half ago. It took me two episodes to realize that this is easily the best show on television and it gets BETTER every week.

Hard to sum up the show but essentially there are a number of people with special powers that are all connected in some way. There is also a very, VERY evil guy who is hellbent on killing every single one of these 'heroes' in order to gain all of their powers himself.

My wife called it 'a poor man's X-Men' after her first viewing but even she warmed up during last weeks episode that centered around Bennet, or HRG (Horned Rim Glasses) as he's affectionately known and his teenage daughter Claire.

The show is now on hiatus for five weeks or so. Therefore, there is no better time to start watching then now...they will likely repeat a bunch of shows so you can catch up.

Trust me on this one...you won't be disappointed. It destroys '24', the only other TV show I watch...and I still love that too.

EDIT: I'm an idiot - I originally put that it was Sam Jackson in the movie as opposed to Freeman. Thanks to anonymous for pointing out my error...shouldn't blog past 1am I guess.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Slevin too but it's Morgan Freeman, not Samuel L Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah...

    Can't believe I put Jackson down. Thanks for noticing...

    ReplyDelete