Monday, December 11, 2006

2006 Golf Season - Year in Review


The 2006 golf season officially ended for yours truly on November 8th with a birdie on the 18th hole at the Poipu Bay Resort in Kauai, Hawaii, the home of the PGA Tour's Grand Slam of Golf. A fantastic way to end a pretty pedestrian season.

Surprisingly enough, I actually played one MORE round of golf in 2006 than I did last year, even though I spent a lot of time planning my wedding.

Let's look at the numbers for 2006. In brackets, I've included my numbers for 2005 as a point of comparison:

TOTAL ROUNDS PLAYED: 63 (Last year - 62)
TOTAL TOURNAMENT ROUNDS: 14 (Last year - 20)
TOTAL NINE-HOLE ROUNDS: 4 (Last year - 7)

TOTAL ROUNDS (80 OR UNDER): 44 (Last year - 45)
TOTAL ROUNDS (75 OR UNDER): 4 (Last year - 11)
TOTAL ROUNDS UNDER PAR: 0 (Last year - 3)

DIFFERENT GOLF COURSES PLAYED: 19 (Last year - 21)
COURSES PLAYED FOR FIRST TIME: 9
- PGA Village (North, South and Dye Courses), Port St. Lucie, Florida, USA
- East Aurora CC, East Aurora, NY, USA
- Cutten Club, Guelph, Ontario, CAN
- Muskoka Bay Golf Club, Gravenhurst, Ontario, CAN
- Thundering Waters Golf Club, Niagara Falls, Ontario, CAN
- Princeville Resort (Prince Course), Princeville, Hawaii, USA
- Poipu Bay, Koloa, Hawaii, USA

OVERALL SCORING AVERAGE: 78.93 (Last year - 78.50)
SCORING AVERAGE (ST. CATHARINES G&CC): 77.91 (Last year - 77.55)
SCORING AVERAGE (OTHER COURSES): 80.38 (Last year - 80.50)
TOURNAMENT SCORING AVERAGE: 79.36 (Last year - 78.00)

A poor year all-around when comparing to my breakout 2005 year. I was down in every category except scoring average away from St. Catharines, which is a bit of a surprise.

I finished 24th on the Niagara Men's Tour this year after finishing 11th the year previous. One top ten finish this year, an 8th in the final event at Thundering Waters. Last year, I had two top six finishes, including a second place result at Beechwood.

I lost my only club match this year and didn't even try to defend the Newlands Cup crown, which I had won two years in a row.

I did, however, do quite well in the Niagara Cup matches, finishing with a perfect 4-0-0 record and winning 10.5 out of a possible 12 points in the process. Really, that's the only positive from the year.

Here are some more stats:

LOW SCORE: 74 (Last year - 68)
LOW TOURNAMENT SCORE: 76 (Last year - 71)
LOW NINE-HOLE SCORE: 34 (Last year - 33)

DRIVING DISTANCE: 264.49 yards (Long Drive - 331 yards)
DRIVING ACCURACY: 44.94% (Single Round Best - 92.86%)
GREENS IN REGULATION: 44.54% (Single Round Best - 77.78%)
PUTTS PER GIR: 1.94
BIRDIE CONVERSION: 18.28%
PUTTS PER ROUND: 30.78 (Single Round Best - 26)
SAND SAVES: 33.33%
SCRAMBLING: 36.79%
SKINS: +$209.50
TOTAL EAGLES: 1
TOTAL BIRDIES: 85 (Single Round Best - 5)

What do all these numbers mean? Well, I've got a lot of weaknesses, that's for sure. Hopefully I can put my money where my mouth is and actually PRACTICE my game in 2007. I don't have enough talent to get by on skill alone - I need to work on things a lot more.

I expect to play in a lot of tournaments again in 2007. I'm exempt on the Niagara Men's Tour and we'll play six events again, with one of them being a TWO-ROUND event! Pretty cool! I'll also attempt to get past the first round of the Langley Cup for the first time in three years and will work on making the Niagara Cup team again.

I may also work on attempting to qualify for the Ontario Mid-Am Championship. I pretty much said it was a lock that I'd try to qualify in '06 but I decided against it. We'll have to see.

Either way, I look forward to the 2007 season with great anticipation.

3 comments:

  1. I can't decide whether to play Mens Tour this year -- probably not as of right now but that may change.

    At least if i did play, I'm sure I wouldn't embarass myself like some other players *ahem* who shall remain unnamed. 107!

    You were definately decent this year Matt (good even) but I still think its funny you like to make up "driving distances" for your stats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, those numbers don't come out of thin air but I'll admit the driving distances stat isn't a true stat...

    Basically, I track the distance of any drive hit in the fairway. Then, I take the two best drives and count them toward my stats.

    And I did hit one 331 this year - in Hawaii at Poipu Bay a week before the Grand Slam of Golf. Needless to say, it was playing extremely firm in preparation for the tourney and it was downwind bigtime (30 miles per hour). 501 yard par four, elevated. 170 yards on my second shot (used 8-iron FYI).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a okay year by most people's standards...

    All the best.

    RT

    ReplyDelete