Friday, August 18, 2006

I'm Back...Just too Swamped to Write

I got back into town on Tuesday night but things have been way too hectic at work and at home for me to write.

I had a meeting at the Armenian Hall in St. Catharines on Wednesday regarding my upcoming stag but the guy I was supposed to meet didn't show. Unreal. From there, I went off to ball hockey. My buddy Jay was playing goal for the opposition and he was able to keep his team in the game long enough for them to complete a crazy comeback. They were down 5-3 with about five minutes left and 5-4 with about a minute and 50 seconds left but ended up winning 7-5. I was able to pot two goals and an assist against Jay but it's meaningless in defeat...next time buddy!!!

Yesterday night, my fiance, my mother and I ventured to the Doubletree Resort for our 'tasting'. We got to sample all of the options for our wedding reception dinner and it was a pretty cool experience. We are giving our guests the choice of two entrees: Beef Tenderloin or Salmon. We're also having six different hors d'oeuvres at our cocktail reception prior to dinner, which will include the choice of the two entrees, bread, salad, soup, vegetables and creme brulee. The afterglow will include coffee, tea and two different cakes: the traditional wedding cake and the new fad of the moment, the groom's cake. My hand is sore from writing so many cheques, that's for sure.

Quick notes on my business trip:

  • The Taboo Resort was very nice. Lots of activities on the water were available and I spent the entire day on Saturday on the beach. Very relaxing.
  • We got to go on the Muskoka Steamship for a dinner cruise on Sunday night. We travelled all around Muskoka Bay and got to see all of the cottages of the rich and famous, including Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. Really fun night.
  • I played Taboo Golf Course on Sunday morning and they did make changes to the 16th hole, once a par five measuring 450 yards. It's now rightfully a par four and a difficult one at that, leaving the course at a par of 71. I played decently from the blue tees (approx 6750 yards) but made a bunch of doubles on my way to an 82.
  • While 29 players teed up on Sunday at Taboo, only FOUR decided to go out to the TREMENDOUS Muskoka Bay Golf Club. The new Doug Carrick design (assisted by my pal Ian Andrew) has got an off-the-charts 'Wow Factor' going for it, with about 15 elevated tee shots and granite outcroppings galore throughout the golf course. It was in great shape for a new course and it qualifies as one of the funnest tracks I've ever played. There are a few cool short fours (the fourth hole is very driveable) and two fantastic threes on the back nine. The par fives feature devilish putting surfaces - I don't have the scorecard in front of me but I believe the seventh or eighth features a HUGE camelback green that after hitting in two shots made BOGEY! The ninth hole, in my opinion, is one of the coolest holes I've ever played. Words can't really describe it - the only thing I can say is that it's like hitting a golf ball through a narrow hallway made out of granite on the approach. I'll have pictures and a detailed review up sometime soon. Overall, I played REALLY well out there but still was only able to barely break 80, shooting 79. Tremendous...more to come!

Tonight, Harris, Toast and I will be heading to Yanks for a nice pizza and wing feast, followed by our first poker homegame in well over a year. Should be a fun night!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the description of the course; the description was wonderful I will be patiently waiting for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete