Monday, June 12, 2006

Niagara Men's Tour at Links of Niagara

There was a lot of golf on my schedule this weekend.

Toast, Harris and I played on Friday after work more or less as a tune-up for the weekend of tournament golf. My ball striking continues to be a concern, as I hit only 7 greens en route to an awful 83, one of my worst scores of the year.

Things got better in a hurry after a tasty dinner at Sahla Thai with the guys. Nothing like Pad Thai (spice level seven) to turn my frown upside down.

I did a bunch of lawn work on Saturday morning before heading to the Links of Niagara at Willo-Dell for the third leg of the Niagara Men's Tour. Willo-Dell is a pretty straightforward golf course and I expected scores to be very low.

I couldn't be more wrong.

The course was set up with extremely difficult pin positions and the windy conditions reaked havoc on the players. I continued to strike the ball indifferently but managed to escape with a 79. Unbelievably, that was good for 14th place.

I played with the reigning champion from last year's tour, Jamie, who shot an 80. My friend Bernie, himself a multi-event winner on tour, shot 83. It's been a tough stretch of golf courses thus far and won't get any easier next month at Hunter's Pointe, a real tough Graham Cooke links-styled course.

I'm sitting in 18th place overall on tour after three events. I won't be playing the August event at Sparrow Lakes so I'll really have to play well at Hunter's to move up in the standings before the 'major event' finale at John Daly's Thundering Waters Golf Club in September.

I'll have details up soon about the Sunday trip to Pennsylvania for the Pine Acres Better Ball tournament.

1 comment:

  1. Great posts. Will come back for more. Please take the time to visit my golfing blogs: Golf Instruction Guide, Golf Shoes Blog, Online Golf Lessons Guide.

    ReplyDelete