Friday, June 23, 2006

The Game is Coming Around

I played 18 holes after work today with Toast and Harry and finally things are coming together with my swing.

I hit 12 greens in regulation today, my best number on the year, on my way to a solid 76 from the tips at St. Catharines. I didn't make one putt all evening of any consequence (one two-putt birdie and another tap-in bird) but I was scaring the hole every time.

I think I'm close to putting my first subpar round of the year together, which is pretty exciting! Hopefully tomorrow, when good buddy Gary joins Toast, Harry and myself for some crack-o-dawn golf!

In other news, I was lucky enough to get chosen as a captains pick for St. Catharines' Niagara Cup squad for the second year in a row. The first leg of the preliminary round is Sunday morning at Port Colborne CC, where I'll be teaming with our assistant pro Cameron in a scramble match against the Links of Niagara team consisting of professional Joe McKenney and a partner of his choosing. I'm looking forward to the day with the pros!

The annual NHL Draft is being held in Vancouver tomorrow starting at 12:00pm. Buffalo holds the #24 pick this year, the furthest they've been from #1 in well over ten years. This is due to the fantastic season the Sabres had, finishing 5th overall in the league.

Buffalo will be looking to move up in the draft through a trade, possibly dangling backup goaltender Martin Biron or excess forwards like Maxim Afinogenov (hopefully not) and J.P. Dumont (I wouldn't lose sleep if he was moved).

The key to any deal, if it happens, is that Buffalo moves into the top 12 in the draft - this is an abnormally deep draft at the top but weakens considerably after the first dozen prospects. Buffalo, as always, will be looking for a stud defenseman to draft but also will need to look at picking up a good goaltending prospect in the second round. This was a position of strength for Buffalo at the beginning of the 2005 season but with the deadline trade of Mika Noronen and the eventual trade of Biron, Buffalo will need to groom a backup for Ryan Miller in the next year or two.

I absolutely LOVE the draft and look forward to seeing Buffalo's choices tomorrow.

I won't have the chance to watch though, as I have a meeting with our wedding cake lady, noted pastry chef Anna Olson. Anna has her own show on the Food Network in Canada and Jacky is PUMPED that she's doing our cake. She was literally SKIPPING DOWN THE STREET after meeting her a few weeks back. Should be a fun couple of hours, as we get to sample lots of different cakes. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I want to go looking for tuxedos as well for me and the wedding party tomorrow and later in the evening, we'll be getting together with my buddy Jay, his wife Laura and my other buddy Ryan and his wife Christina for a barbeque dinner.

I'll be back soon with the back nine of East Aurora and details on my round from Saturday. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment