Thursday, April 20, 2006

Long and Short-Game Handicaps

There's an interesting article in the May 2006 issue of Golf Digest that discusses a method of determining a long-game and a short-game handicap.

Essentially, it will pinpoint the area of your game that needs the most work.

It's pretty easy to calculate. The necessary information to keep track of is:

  • Greens in Regulation
  • Long game strokes (ie: shots from 50 yards away or more)
  • Your total score

You also need to know your course rating and slope.

I'd go into detail about how everything is determined but it's pretty boring unless you're a stat guy (like me). I kind of laughed at my results but based on my stats so far I guess I can't be too surprised...

Basically, through two rounds I have a long-game handicap of 5 but a short game handicap of +1!!!

I have a better than scratch short-game!!!

Well, not so fast bucko!

The system is definitely flawed, as it doesn't take into account the fact that I missed about three or four greens by a yard or so - that obviously affects my putting and GIR stats and makes me look like a ball-striking sieve and a short game superstar.

I'm neither of those things and likely fall somewhere inbetween.

I'll keep monitoring these stats though as I build up more rounds. It's definitely an interesting little tool.

If anyone out there is interested in me posting the formula, let me know and I'll throw it up in a future post.

I was able to somehow get around in a 75 on Sunday this past weekend after struggling most of the day with my ball striking. I shot a 41 on the front and came in with a phenomenal 2 under 34 on the back to save the round, making three birdies on the inward half.

That's two subpar nines already this year!

My putting stats are crazy-good right now but I'm not really making anything of consequence; again, this is likely a product of just missing greens in regulation and having the shots from the fringe not count as official putts.

I'm just happy that I'm finding a way to score so well without my 'A-game'. It's a good confidence builder, that's for sure.

6 comments:

  1. "A-Game"?, what a-game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...Harry is posting now.

    Just put your money where your mouth is big fella...next week, dinner is on YOU!!!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have a letter for my game but I still have the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could use the formula if you still have it. I threw away my copy of Golf Digest that had it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. can you throw up the formulas for the short-game and long-game handicaps?

    ReplyDelete