Saturday, April 15, 2006

'Diary' Reading Breaks Slump

I didn't have to hit the driving range after the round today...

My putting was hot early, as I made a 5 footer and a 12 footer for par on the first and second holes. Then, some precise iron play helped reinforce the fact that this was going to be a good scoring day.

I hit it to about 12 feet on three but missed the birdie effort and also missed a 18 footer on 4. However, on the 423 yard par four fifth, I knocked my five iron approach to about a foot for the gimmie birdie to get to red figures for the first time in 2006.

After pars on six and seven, I knocked a wedge stiff to three feet on eight for my second birdie of the day. I got up and down from the greenside trap on nine for par and the surprising 34 (-2) on the front nine.

I made a shaky par on 10 but skyhooked a driver on the short par four eleventh into the lateral hazard left of the fairway. To add insult to injury, I three-putted the hole as well for a double to come crashing back to even par.

I came right back, hitting a six iron tight on my nemesis hole, the par three twelfth but was unable to convert the 9 footer. I'd three putt again from off the fringe on 13 and also bogeyed 14 to ruin any thought of breaking par overall.

I did come back with a nice bird on 15 but a bogey on 18 gave me a 40 on the backside and a 74 overall.

Good start to the real golf season!

The key to the 10 shot difference between today's round and yesterday's is the fact that I consulted my 'diary', which earned ribs from my playing partners Toast, Harry and Gary today when I told them about it.

Diary is not the word I should have used but I've kept notes on my golf game for a couple years, jotting down swing thoughts and keys to my game when things are going well so I can refer back to them when things start going awry.

The golf stat software that I use (Golfers Diary and StatDoctor) both have a 'Notes' section for every round that I can utilize for recording my thoughts on the round or my game in general.

The swing key was posture-related and the little change I made worked wonders for my ball-striking. As I told the boys today, I can take the ribbing if it means I'm getting in their pocket every day!!! ;)

Tomorrow should be a full group, with 8-12 guys likely showing up for some great skins and Hollywood action. Hopefully I can build on today's success!

No comments:

Post a Comment