Monday, March 13, 2006

May 2006 Tentative Tournament Schedule

I'm trying to do a bit of planning for the upcoming golf season and thought it would be fun to post a penciled-in version of my tournament schedule for 2006 and the probability of me playing the event.

We'll start with events in the month of May. I'll post a new month each day until we're done.

Mon. May 1 2006
GAO QUALIFIER: ONTARIO BETTER-BALL CHAMPIONSHIP (Bridgewater Golf and CC, Fort Erie, ON) -
I attempted to qualify for this event a couple years back with my good buddy Jay but we played horribly, only making two birdies between us. The actual tournament is on May 18th at Oakdale Golf and CC, a club I've never played. I don't have a partner lined up for this yet so I doubt I'll hand in the application.
CHANCES OF PARTICIPATING: Highly Unlikely

Sat. May 6 2006
MEN'S OPENING DAY (St. Catharines Golf and CC, St. Catharines, ON) -
I haven't played in the opening day tournament since 2002. It's a four-man better ball tourney and I'm interested only to get my game into tournament shape early.
CHANCES OF PARTICIPATING: Highly Unlikely

Sun. May 7 2006
NIAGARA MEN'S TOUR: EVENT ONE (Bridgewater Golf and CC) -
The local amateur tour opens at Bridgewater Golf Club. I finished 11th overall on the tour last year and my goals have been elevated this year: I'm not just looking to compete anymore...I want to win an event! And I want to finish in the top five overall.
CHANCES OF PARTICIPATING: 100% Lock

Mon. May 8 2006
GAO QUALIFIER: ONTARIO MATCH PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP (Caledon Woods GC, Bolton, ON) -
I tried for this one a couple years back as well and fell flat on my face, playing my worst round in years. I obviously love match play so this tourney has a certain appeal and I'm at least a bit familiar with Caledon Woods now. The actual tourney is at Rocky Crest GC in Muskoka.
CHANCES OF PARTICIPATING: 50/50

Mon. May 15 2006
GAO QUALIFIER: ONTARIO MID-AMATEUR CHAMPIONSHIP (Various Course Possibilites) -
The mid-am rules were changed to allow entry to anyone over the age of 25 rather than the previous age of 40. The local qualifier is being held at Pelham Hills GC, a really crappy track that I'd rather not spend the entry fee on. The Club at Bond Head is a tantalizing option but I have to remember the goal, which is to get into the main tournament that is being held at the venerable Rosedale Golf and CC in downtown Toronto. I have to make a decision on the qualifying course soon.
CHANCES OF PARTICIPATING: Oh, I'm playing in this one! 100% Lock!

Sun. May 28 2006
NIAGARA MEN'S TOUR: EVENT TWO (Grand Niagara GC - Rees Jones Course, Niagara Falls, ON) -
Event two on the tour takes us to the brand new, Rees Jones-designed Grand Niagara Golf Club. I played here last year and was impressed with the conditioning. The course itself is pretty flat but very long from the tips. Scores will be high I bet.
CHANCES OF PARTICIPATING: 100% Lock

Unknown May Weekend Date
NIAGARA CUP QUALIFIER (St. Catharines Golf and CC) -
If you've read my past posts, you know I've played on the St. Catharines Niagara Cup team for the past couple of years. It's essentially a team competition among the courses in the region. The qualifier is over two days and you get to throw out your worst score in hopes of qualifying. I played crappy in qualifying last year but was lucky enough to be a 'Captain's Pick' for the event.
CHANCES OF PARTICIPATING: 100% Lock

Well, that's only May and there are four 'for sures' in there.

We'll see tomorrow what possibilities exist for June!

No comments:

Post a Comment