Friday, January 06, 2006

It's a Boy!

Jacky's sister Andrea finally gave birth to a bouncing baby boy on Wednesday!

Beckham Matthew was 8 pounds, 6 ounces (I think) and both mother and child are doing extremely well. Somehow, Andrea came up with the name Beckham having never heard of world renowned soccer superstar David Beckham!!! I kid you not!

Andrea and Beckham are due to head home on Friday, which is wonderful news. Congratulations to Andrea and Todd!

I've talked to Jacky almost everyday since she's been gone but I didn't get the chance to talk to her tonight because I was at a Sabres game. I miss her a bunch. I've had no ball hockey for well over a week and the Sabres hadn't played since Sunday, so I've literally been twiddling my thumbs for four days with pretty much nothing to do. Very strange for me.

I have had the chance to play a few hours of online poker over the past few days and have been lucky enough to profit about $200.00. Not too shabby for a guy who has barely played in three months. Speaking of which, I received an intriguing email from the assistant general manager of our golf club today. It looks as though the club is looking to put together a No-Limit Texas Hold'em Tournament at the club next Saturday and the gentleman is looking for advice on how best to run the event. He decided to enlist the services of me and my buddy Toast, who you all know from the Golf+Poker blog.

We've been bribed with a free lunch at the club in exchange for our thoughts on the buy-ins, blind structures, rebuys, etc. We will cash in on the lunch tomorrow afternoon, most likely. Interesting indeed! The event is completely rake free, with the club profiting nothing (but expecting the big gamblers to drink plenty of expensive booze!). Haha. Well, if I decide to play, I certainly won't drink a drop of alcohol, as I have VERY important plans for Saturday evening. Jacky returns from Colorado that night and I'll be off to pick her up from the airport!

I'll report back on the important 'business meeting' at the club sometime soon!

And now for our daily Sabres update! Jacky may be reading my blog while in Colorado and was hoping for little recaps of the action on the ice.

I went to the game with my buddy Deron, who claims that the Sabres HAVE NEVER LOST when he's attended one of their games! Wow. Well, the streak........continues!

Our boys won 3-1 over defending Stanley Cup champions, the Tampa Bay Lightning. Buffalo absolutely dominated play in the first period, outshooting the Lightning by a 14-3 margin. However, the Sabres were only able to capitalize with one goal, a tip-in of a Soupy Campbell point shot by Jochen Hecht for the 1-0 lead at the intermission.

Tampa came out more determined in the second period but Buffalo would add to its lead, as Chris Drury wristed home a Hecht pass for Buffalo's second powerplay goal and a 2-0 lead. 2003/04 MVP Martin St. Louis put Tampa on the board a couple minutes later, swatting in a puck from midair to make things close at 2-1 heading into the third.

Buffalo would control play for most of the final frame and were rewarded with their third goal. Defenseman Henrik Tallinder continued his fine recent play (4 goals in 6 games, incredible for a guy who now has only 9 CAREER GOALS!) by putting in a Paul Gaustad pass to seal the victory. Ryan Miller was again terrific in Buffalo's cage, stopping two breakaways in the third period alone.

Coupled with a very rare Ottawa loss tonight, the Sabres are now only 3 points back of the Senators for top spot in the Northeast Division. Buffalo is now officially at the halfway point of the season and sit with a 27-12-2 record, good for 56 points. Their current pace translates to 54 wins and 112 points over the 82 game season, which would set a franchise high in wins and fall one point short of the Sabres total from the 1974/75 season, which happens to be the year the team first went to the Stanley Cup Finals!

It's an exciting time to be a fan of this team!

1 comment:

  1. Nice name selection no matter how she came up with it.

    200$ is a nice figure to profit for a bit of poker. I am interested in hearing what is decided on the poker tournament.

    ReplyDelete