Monday, January 23, 2006

Election Day

You either love politics or hate them.

Okay, maybe there is some middle ground there. Personally, I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole deal; I try to keep up with everything going on with the government but I keep my thoughts, for the most part, to myself.

I don't care enough to fight people about the issues because every side has a compelling argument, especially here in Canada.

Today, our country held a federal election after the incumbent Liberal government, led by Prime Minister Paul Martin, was given a vote of 'no confidence' back in November. The three opposition parties (the right wing Conservatives, the left of centre New Democrats, and the separatist Bloc Quebecois) teamed up to force the Liberals out of power when the 'Sponsorship Scandal' rocked the nation.

To sum that fiasco up, government money was used to pay advertising firms to shore up support for federal unity in Quebec, a province that has repeatedly stated it wants to separate from the rest of the country. However, audits of the spending proved that the money was wasted, with most of it just going to 'pay off' firms with Liberal connections.

The Liberals have been in control of the country for 13 years but that streak looks to have ended tonight.

Early returns are declaring that Stephen Harper's Conservatives will win a minority government, making him the 22nd Prime Minister of Canada.

What does this mean?

To be honest, not much. Here are some predictions from your humble reporter, Mr. NoSkillz:

1. The balanced budget will be a thing of the past, as the Conservatives will start spending on military, they'll likely cut taxes (starting with the federal GST) and start running deficits.
2. The Canadian dollar will drop because of point #1.
3. The drop in the Canadian dollar will HELP BUSINESSES in Canada, as people are forced to keep their money in the country and spend it here. Trade will be improved between Canadians and other countries, since they'll get 'more bang for their buck'.
4. Relations will improve with the U.S. George Dubya is a very happy man tonight! He had many battles with the Martin-led government.
5. In the end, the Conservatives' inability to gain a majority government will result in another Federal election within two years.

What do I think? Who did I vote for?

I'll let you try to figure that out for yourselves. I consider myself to be a social Liberal and a financial Conservative so it was not an easy decision for me to make.

I will say this though: I think having Harper and the Conservatives in power will be better for business owners and business in general in Canada.

If that's the case, I'm willing to give them a shot. The jury is still out on Harper as a leader though.

The guy just creeps me out!

Alright, no more politics, I swear!

No comments:

Post a Comment