Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Putting the Clubs Away: Golf Year in Review



We were given a pretty gorgeous Autumn weekend in the Niagara Peninsula and I was able to celebrate by playing a round of golf on Sunday.

My first round in two weeks started with a slight push just off the right side of the fairway. After five minutes of searching, we still couldn't come up with my ball, which must have plugged in the soggy rough somewhere.

I just laughed and walked to the next tee. I pretty much knew right then that it was time to put the clubs away for the year. I ended up shooting 79 (with a 'computer double bogey' on the first - for handicap purposes, the highest score I'm allowed to take is a double) Sunday and made five bucks in skins with my birdie on the eighth hole.

I did a little number crunching on my 2005 season and some of the numbers are startling:

TOTAL ROUNDS PLAYED: 62
TOTAL TOURNAMENT ROUNDS: 20
TOTAL NINE-HOLE ROUNDS: 7

TOTAL ROUNDS (80 OR UNDER): 45
TOTAL ROUNDS (75 OR UNDER): 11
TOTAL ROUNDS UNDER PAR: 3

I played an incredible 21 different golf courses this year as well, 11 of which were in tournaments. A few more scoring stats:

OVERALL SCORING AVERAGE: 78.50
SCORING AVERAGE (ST. CATHARINES G&CC): 77.55
SCORING AVERAGE (OTHER COURSES): 80.50
TOURNAMENT SCORING AVERAGE: 78.00

It's funny...you look at the stats and immediately my first impression is that I need to improve my play away from my home course. However, I was VERY strong playing away from the club in tournaments so maybe I just loosen up a bit when I'm playing casual rounds at these other courses...it's interesting either way you look at it.

My tournament play this year was a highlight. I won the Newlands Cup for the second year in a row and placed 11th overall on the Niagara District Men's Tour. I've finally got the nerves out of my tournament game, something that's really held me back in previous years.

I also achieved my only real goal for the 2005 season - I finally broke 70! That round of 68, two rounds of 71 and my 72 in the final event of the Tour, all within a two-week period in mid-September, qualify as the best golf I've played in my life. I started the year with a handicap index of 3.7 and ended the year two full shots less at 1.6.

It's been an extremely satisfying year on the links. I look forward to 2006 and hope the improvement in my game continues.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is also time to turn on the word verification thing for your site.

    My thought when reading your post was maybe you just get a little distracted with all the new surroundings when you play a different course. I know I am so used to Harbor Hills that I don't notice things there as much but after I have been away for a while I am looking at everything and my score seems to go down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello...Hello...Testing testing.....

    ReplyDelete