Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Greetings From Boulder, Colorado!

It's day five of my long overdue vacation in Boulder, Colorado. The girlfriend and I are visiting her sister Andrea, her husband Todd and their four year old son Cole.

The trip got off to a perfect start on Saturday. I got paged at the airport about 5 minutes before boarding. "Mr. NoSkillz, please come to the front desk." Uh oh...what could this be?

I should preface this by saying that I was able to get the roundtrip tickets to Denver and back for both Jacky and myself for free, as my sister has enough airmiles built up to last a lifetime. I only had to pay the taxes, which amounted to a paltry $150.00 total. So I was already pretty pumped.

Well, guess how happy I was when the guy bumped us up to first class! Muhahaha! "Oh yeah, I have my girlfriend with me." "No problem!", he says and just like that we're hooked up!

I had never had the pleasure of flying first class/business class before and let me tell you - it's quite the experience! Huge seats...free booze (didn't drink any though)...non-stop, personalized service ("Would you like another Coca-Cola, Mr. NoSkillz?")...actual glassware instead of plastic glasses and cutlery. And this is saying nothing about the 'lunch' we were provided. My goodness. Best plane food ever! I had this curried chicken breast on wild rice with a greek salad and fresh rolls ON A FREAKIN' AIRPLANE! I wonder if you can just go to Air Canada, hop on a plane, eat dinner and just leave without flying anywhere...if so, sign me up! Jacky had a pot roast concoction and she was equally as pleased.

We arrived in Denver around 1:30pm Mountain Time and Jacky's sister was there waiting for us. It is about a 30 minute drive into Boulder, which I can only describe as Niagara-on-the-Lake on steroids. The town is very quaint, with a cool shopping/dining district on Pearl Street. However, you also have the Rocky Mountains as the backdrop and Boulder is a college town to boot, with the Colorado University campus in the city.

Todd, Andrea and Cole literally live in the mountains on a four acre piece of property. Words can't do the scenery justice so I won't even attempt to try. I'll make sure to post pictures when I get back home. I met Todd for the first time upon arriving at their home. He is a former world-class triathlete and cyclist, and while he's in phenomenal shape, he isn't as physically imposing as I thought he'd be. He immediately asked if I'd like to take a tour of Boulder with him. Sounded good, plus it would give Jacky some time to catch up with her sister.

Turns out Todd had a plan. Andrea's 40th birthday is coming up on Friday. There's already a big party planned for that night but he wanted to do something special for her.

Now, special for me is maybe taking the girl out to a fancy restaurant. If I'm feeling frisky, maybe a nice piece of jewellery. Well, Todd wanted to go buy her a car!

He had scouted out a couple choices at the Audi dealership earlier in the day with his son Cole and wanted to go down to get another opinion from an adult. So we drove a beautiful A6 2.7L Turbo sedan and then an A4 3.5L (non-turbo) wagon. I was partial to the sedan myself, as it had more passenger space and more cargo space than the wagon, which would work better for their growing family (Andrea is six months pregnant). Plus, the car just FLIES!

Todd shared my opinion and bargained right on the spot, coming to a deal with the salesman in five minutes! Geez, this guy means business! He wanted the car RIGHT AWAY too! Well, we were already late for dinner by that time and they needed 20 minutes to finish the paperwork so Todd said it could wait till Monday. So off we went back to homebase to get ready for dinner and discuss our alibi for being late. Haha.

The four of us (Cole had a babysitter) dined at Jax, a really nice seafood/oyster restaurant right on Pearl Street. We had calamari and mussels as appetizers and then I had this UNBELIEVABLE seafood bouillabaisse, filled with jumbo shrimp, king crab, mussels, clams and scallops in a tomato-based sauce. Hollee crap was it fantastic! After dinner, we had dessert at the Cold Stone Creamery, a fancy homemade ice cream place where you design your own concoction. Indescribable again...just go if you get the chance! After that, we toured Pearl Street, soaking up the culture a bit and watching some of the shows put on by the local entertainers (essentially just creative beggars, but entertaining nonetheless).

We got home around 10pm and hit the sack.

That's just the first day.

If I catch my breath again, I'll maybe throw another update in about the past few days as well. Hikes up the mountains, relaxing by the pool, beautiful scenery, fantastic weather, clean air, great dinners. Just an incredibly relaxing vacation, and one that was much needed. And I didn't even bring my golf clubs! Who would have thunk it?!

7 comments:

  1. You left the car hanging; you can't leave the car hanging that just won't work. I have never been around when someone was given a car. You must finish this later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem...I will finish the story tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hormone Linked to Diabetic Control and High LDL
    High blood levels of a hormone called adiponectin are associated with high levels of HDL and also with improved sugar control in women with diabetes.
    Good job...you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a the perfect income system site. It pretty much covers the perfect income system related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, nice blog here! I'll be back later.

    I have a holdem poker texas
    site/blog. It covers holdem poker texas related stuff.

    Come and check it out when you get time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Bloggers!

    A little public service message: Did you know that you can profit everytime someone looks at your Blog. A simple snipit of code put into your template will generate cash from Google's Adsense! I put it on my Blog yesterday. It was the very first Blog I had ever made and I made $32.00 with Adsense. ALL IN ONE DAY! Now I know why you see Google ads everywhere! Today will be twice that much. Take a look at my Blog, Click on a link or two and see if it's for you.

    Hope you don't mind my intrusion.

    Thanks!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete