Thursday, August 04, 2005

Final Day Update

The biggest event on my golf calendar is complete. I shot an 80 in the final round of the tournament to go along with my 78-77 start to finish at 235 (+19) for the three days, good enough for sixth place overall in the club.

The round started off great (as usual), as I got through the first four holes at one under par. The wheels came off early on Monday, however, with a three putt bogey on five and a sloppy bogey on the par five sixth. My buddy Jay showed up on the seventh tee to caddy for me (he was golfing earlier that day) and watched me bogey the next three holes to finish the front side in a less-than-inspiring 40 shots.

I parred 10 and missed a 6 foot birdie putt on 11 to stay at four over as I approached my nemesis holes for the tournament...12 and 13. I was a combined 7 over par on these holes through two rounds. I made a nice up-and-down par on 12 and hit a beautiful drive on 13 for the first time in the event. Unfortunately, after hitting my approach to 25 feet, I three-whacked AGAIN for bogey. My mind was pretty much gone by this point and I just wanted it all to end. I came to the 18th hole at +8 for the day and hit an awful drive underneath some spruce trees, requiring a pitch out. This left me with a 90 yard wedge shot for my third into a green surrounded by a huge gallery. There had to be at least 125-150 people watching the final groups coming in. I hit a nice shot but the wind grabbed a hold of it and the ball came up a pathetic 10 yards short of the green.

Wonderful. Way to make an ass out of yourself in front of the world!

So I have a difficult chip shot to a front pin location from about 10 yards off the green. All I'm thinking about is "don't duff the chip jerky!".

Well, wouldn't you know. I chipped the damn thing in the hole! Really loud cheers for that one! High fives all around from my threesome and the two caddies (including Toast, who was on Ben's bag for the day) and a huge grin on my face, mostly out of relief.

Nice par!

In the end, I'm not entirely disappointed in the performance. The score left a bit to be desired but I've never finished better than sixth so it's not all bad. My parents got a kick out of the chip in, as they were among the gallery members taking in the action on the final day.

Toast, Ben, Gary, Gary's nephew and Harris joined me after the round for pizza and wings at Yanks Restaurant. Great feast to end a fun day and a well run golf tournament.

2 comments:

  1. Really nice way to end it no matter what the score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave! I appreciate the sentiments!

    ReplyDelete