Monday, August 01, 2005

Day Two Update

Well I did it again.

I played almost the exact same round Sunday afternoon as I did Saturday. I started off with a bogey on one, made an all-world par on two then made about a 20 footer for birdie on three to get back to even par. I bogeyed five then almost jarred a wedge on six for eagle, settling for my second birdie of the day. I made another birdie on eight and parred nine to finish the front nine at -1. Sweet!

I missed a 14 footer on 10 and a 6 footer on 11 and had to settle for pars on both holes. Then the crappy play began again. I hit it in the same bunker I did the day before on 12 and escaped with a bogey and proceeded to double #13 for the second day in a row. Pars on 14 and 15 were followed by a three putt bogey from 8 feet on 16 and ugly bogeys on 17 and 18 for another 42 on the back nine, giving me a +5 77 overall. Ugh.

I'm still in sixth place going into the final day and comfortably made the cut which was made at 161. I'm really surprised at how high the scores are this year; the weather is perfect right now and the course is there for the taking. The leader shot even par yesterday and is at -6 138 right now; he has an incredible 13 shot lead right now. Yeah - I think they can start engraving his name in the trophy! Haha.

My buddy Jay will likely join me later in the round today to caddy for me so that's pretty cool. I'm going to be a bit more aggressive with my lines today, especially on the back nine. I think my problem on some of the holes, like 13, is that I'm scared of hitting the ball into the trouble so I've been overcompensating by hitting the ball in the opposite direction. Got to just trust my swing out there today.

Championship Monday is always fun and there usually is a pretty substantial gallery out on the 18th hole watching everyone come in. Should be a nice day! Hopefully I can make a run at second place, which would be fantastic. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment