Sunday, July 31, 2005

Day One Update

I shot a 78 in the first round of the club championship yesterday morning, which places me in a tie for sixth place. After today's round, the field of 28 golfers will be cut down to the top 12 and ties so I'm in decent shape to start.

Unfortunately, the leader shot an incredible 66 yesterday, giving him a nine shot lead after round one! That's just great golf! My round started with a bogey but then I settled down and played some of the most solid golf of the year. I parred everything up to the eighth hole, a par five. I ended up going for the green in two and just came up short. However, I was able to get up and down for my birdie to take me to even par on the day. I parred nine to shoot a fine 36 on the front. After pars on 10 and 11, I came to my nemesis hole, a 206 yard downhill par three with water on the left side. I put the ball into the water there at least 1 out of every 4 shots so I bailed out right into a bunker. I hit out to 15 feet and proceeded to three putt for double bogey. I doubled the next hole as well when I got into tree trouble and the collapse was on! Three pars in a row were followed by bogies on the last two for a 42 and my 78 total.

Overall, I'm disappointed in the score but pretty happy with the way I played. I didn't really miss many putts so that's a positive. I'm not really thinking about the cut right now; I'm going to play a bit more aggressively today in an attempt to fight for second place. I figure a score close to par is attainable right now for me and that's my goal.

We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment