Sunday, May 29, 2005

A Weekend in Oshawa

On Friday, I made the two hour drive north to Oshawa, Ontario to visit my buddy Ryan.

Ryan's wife Christina was away with friends for the weekend so he decided to have his friends up for a couple days. The plan was to hit the town for drinks Friday night and then play golf at 9am Saturday at Oliver's Nest GC in Lindsay, an hour northwest of Oshawa and then Ryan was having a 16-person No Limit Poker Tournament at his place in the evening ($20.00 buy-in).

I arrived at his place around 10pm Friday night and our mutual buddy Jay was already there. They were playing online poker when I arrived. "I didn't make the trip to watch you guys play poker!" I exclaimed. So the three of us decided to have a little 3-person N/L tournament instead. Jay, as usual, was the first to go but I ended up getting outlasted by Ryan in the end so he took the $15.00 prize pool.

I then went to the darkside...online poker. Ryan booted up his computer and had me play for him under his account. He had $47.00 in Ultimate Bet and I decided to play on the $0.50/$1.00 table. Within 25 minutes, I had doubled his money and at the end of two hours, I had him up to $156.00! Just crazy, crazy profit with those small limits...I can see why people like online poker so much now...just so many bad players!

Three hours of sleep later and we were off to Oliver's Nest for some golf. Ryan's friend Bryan picked us up and we were off on our 50 minute drive. The course itself was pretty decent. It's a par 71 rated at 71.4 from the Gold deck and a slope rating of 129. The yardage from those tees was 6625 yards.

The course had to be one of the firmest I've played. It was still very lush, but it ran extremely fast. I hit seven fairways with my driver on the day and here were the driving distances on those shots: 259 yds, 324 yds, 298 yds, 270 yds, 227 yds, 275 yds and 275 yds. That's pretty damn long for me!

The par 3 7th hole at Oliver's Nest Golf Club

The hole shown above was #7, a 160 yard par three. Jay and Bryan are shown walking to the green in the picture. My game was very sharp again. I shot an even par 35 on the front nine with one birdie (a two putt bird on a par 5) and one bogey. My putter wasn't really working all day and it cost me some shots on the back nine, as I shot 39 to finish the round at +3 or 74. Pretty good for the first time at the course. Jay shot 86, Bryan made three birdies (to my two) but had way too many doubles and triples and ended up shooting 88. Ryan struggled all day (he doesn't play much anymore), making only one par in his round of 97. We all had a great time.

We headed back home to get ready for the poker tournament that night.

Updates to come.

2 comments:

  1. What a combination; poker then golf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is...and a combination that's becoming more and more familiar by the day for both Toast and myself!

    ReplyDelete